Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Circular feature pattern not working as expected

david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
I am trying to get an axis to transform my gears around. I used a circular pattern to create copies of the gear parts but when I try to do the same using a circular feature pattern for a line construction it doesn't pattern as I would expect, being much nearer to the axis than the feature I am trying to pattern. I have tried to replicate this in a simpler example but can't.
Here is the model it is Circular Pattern 2 that I am referring to.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/57b06da9e4b0f8ff2a92134e/w/ac5aeb414bf9e2c16fc21890/e/d458883e10045907e819d885

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    david_fisher031david_fisher031 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    >I think you mean Circular Pattern 3 (not 2). 

Yes you are correct, sorry for getting that wrong.

> However, this isn't very robust, since it will only work as long as the axis you're patterning around goes through the origin.

It should work for me in this instance anyway.

>Patterning sketches seems to be quite tricky.  :-)

Yes, and to remember that you're patterning a sketch rather than just a feature.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question :-)