Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Déjà vu...

caradoncaradon OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 300 PRO
edited March 2015 in General
I've been reading and watching an old post (Feb 2010) over at SolidSmack again.
http://www.solidsmack.com/cad-design-news/future-of-solidworks-on-the-mac-in-the-cloud/

It really strikes me how much of this resembles the vision of Onshape. Hell, even the tagline is the same: “Any device. Anywhere” :)

Seems to me like SolidWorks had a genuine chance to bring to market an 'Onshape of their own'.
And... well... then they blew it.

Btw, was this technology based on Parasolid or any of Dassault's kernels?

Dries

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

@DriesVervoort_Caradon

I think, although don't know, that Dassault is trying to bring SolidWorks and Catia to the same next generation platform, but still trying to hold onto Catia level pricing. That's why SWMC and SWIC are priced so absurdly high - they are really Catia products sold in a very modular fashion. They are looking way too greedy and out of touch. Ultimately its a good thing that Onshape is their own independent player at this point. That's why the pricing is taking the CAD world by storm. I don't think Dassault would have ever let this happen because it threatened the revenue of the current stable of products. It's a bit like watching the cable tv companies and the growing trend of cord cutters opting to stream everything. Independent players outside the current stable are usually the better disrupters. They have nothing to loose and everything to gain. The founders of Onshape while at SolidWorks worried about a coming disrupter and wanted to do it before it was done to them. I think the reaction by many SolidWorks users back in 2010 was too much FUD. Maybe it was too early for that time periods crusty engineers. Well, here we are now - right where those guys wanted to be. Thanks for sticking with it!

Regarding kernel, don't know. Parasolid would have been my guess. I'm sure Dassault wanted Catia. Maybe that was another sticking point.