Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

INSTEP

Is INSTEP the correct software to use to convert point cloud data to STEP files so that is can be imported into ONSHAPE and modeled

Answers

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    Hi Andrew,

Yes, INSTEP is a great solution to fix your point cloud models and import them into Onshape. Since INSTEP is available through our AppStore, the transfer of documents from INSTEP to Onshape is straightforward.

Thanks, good luck, and let me know if you need any help!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Instep is excellent.  Also Power Surfacing has some very good point cloud to Surface tools. 

Joe
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @andrew_hicks, Along with Instep you can use STLWorkbench and power surfacing to convert point cloud data to STEP files. All these apps are available in Onshape AppStore. STLWorkbench fixes the problem of STL file and convert them into printable form. INSTEP transfer the documents from INSTEP to Onshape directly however in STLWorkbench user need to download document from STLWorkbench and then import into Onshape.
  • Options
    bert_fouriebert_fourie Member Posts: 101 PRO
    I wonder if there is an update to this. I would like to import a Lidar scan cloud file in dxf format. It is not successful. I cannot find INSTEP in the App store.