Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Categories for Public Documents?

james_mcpherson11762james_mcpherson11762 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited March 2015 in Product Feedback
I'd like to help "build out" a catalog of generic parts for use by everyone in OS. Categories are needed like: fasteners, aluminum extrusions (80/20, open rail, etc. ) standard motor sizes, bearings, 3d printer parts, gears, belts, pulleys,  to start. 

Additionally it would be nice if those "catalog" parts are editable by all (or vetted persons like vendors of the parts) WIKI style so that entire types can be completed by many people.

To make it even better, it would be cool if OS made a deal with McMaster / Amazon / etc. to assemble a pre-made shopping cart to purchase all of the catalog parts in an assembly. OS makes a little percentage and potentially has another revenue stream. 

If OS takes off like I think it will, what if OS overtakes Grabcad and Thingyverse except that the massive selection of parts are natively editable, how cool would that be? 

Any chance of that happening? I'm thinking of a day when you can come to Onshape and almost not need to actually CAD very much to assemble something like a reprap and start experimenting with different configurations.

-Jim

Comments

• Options
    john_f_carrjohn_f_carr Onshape Employees Posts: 74

Additionally it would be nice if those "catalog" parts are editable by all (or vetted persons like vendors of the parts) WIKI style so that entire types can be completed by many people.

-Jim

The "public but editable by vetted persons" feature already exists.  (I'll let somebody else address importing the public part into a private assembly.)

1, Go to the user menu at top, right (with your name on it).  Pick "Create organization."  Create an organization.  Add your trusted part editors as members.
    2. Go to your part's share menu.  Share it with your new organization, granting edit permission.
    3. Make the document public.
    Now your vetted persons group can change the part, and anybody else can view and make a copy of the part.