Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Remove @ an angle

shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
I'm trying to recreate a model I found in onshape.  However, I'm struggling with how to recreate the angled remove.
This picture shows what I'm referring to:

Here is my model:

It doesn't have to be exact, but something close.  The reason this is angled in this way, is a straight cut through will go right through the channels on the left and right.

The original model I'm copying is @ https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:364650/#files
The Onshape doc is @ https://cad.onshape.com/documents/14f3d01d62b5237f728896c5/w/92707e49920dfee7f7320e01/e/34ad8e101ee42556b8c41f20

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several ways to do this. I'm guessing the easiest method is to use a boolean operation. Model a solid/negative version of your desired cut, then subtract it from the main body. Another option would be to cut away extra material via a normal extrude-cut, then add the angled material back as an extrude. The third option I can think of is to create a cut with two depths (one full depth, the other shallow) and then add a chamfer feature to the resulting edge to turn it into an angled face.
  • Options
    @mahir the last one I had tried.  But any fillet/chamfer between the two cut depths fails with an error.   Going to try the 2nd suggestion
  • Options
    Boolen seemd to work well, took lots of fanagling but it worked!