Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Low cost solution for simulation

daniel_persdaniel_pers Member Posts: 3 EDU
What a low cost solution do you recommend for simulation with Onshape with my students?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    @brian_brady - have you ever looked at LISA or Mecway for FEA?  

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @brian_brady - have you ever looked at LISA or Mecway for FEA?  

No I haven't. We have a Creo Simulate for our department that makes it free for our students. Unless an option is free and as easy to use (or easier) as Creo Simulate, I will likely stay with what we have. I will have to look though. 
  • Options
    Mecway has a fee, but it is pretty low so far as FEA is concerned.  Lisa was free the last I heard but may not be very full featured.
  • Options
    I just looked at both, need to review them further. Mecway looks an awful lot like LISA or vice versa. Both only give you about 1000 nodes for free but have a fairly low cost for unlimited nodes if you are paying for it yourself (versus a company buying it for you). I will likely stick with Creo Simulate this semester, but will look for alternatives for next fall.
  • Options
    Since you are teaching, have you considered Comsol?  It's very expensive ($20k+options) but they may have an educational program.  A co-worker used it and it seemed very powerful, especially when optioned up.
  • Options
    I have looked hard since Creo Simulate has been working well for us. The only reason I might look another direction in the near future is because I have switched to Onshape for modeling and it would be nice to find a simulation product that worked nicely with it natively but was as easy to use as Creo Simulate. 

I may take a peek at Comsol. Thanks.