Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Holes or rivets along curved surfaces

dylan_rosedylan_rose Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in General
Hey all, I don't think this is possible yet, and this might be addressed once sheet-metal tools are added, but I'm looking for a way to add holes to a cylindar or similar objects. Here's a rough example of the sort of shape I'm talking about:
In order to add holes, I can sketch holes on a plane but the holes will be skewed because they are projecting through a flat drawing. What I need is to be able to project them from the center of the cylinder. If we had the ability to 'wrap' drawings to curved surfaces, or create flat drawings from curved faces, I could simply add the holes to the resulting drawing. But I don't think that's currently possible and I haven't found a good workaround. Basically I want to do this while still being precise about hole location:

Thanks all!

Here's the example file:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a6bb0a856e9922fd2c91d968/w/40289ee9887fc34a34eb8fdd/e/cb2cc302e5d3bd0762d73bf3

-Dylan

Comments

• Options
    victor_mendoza099victor_mendoza099 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    The same problem that Mercator and other mathematicians and mapmakers were facing 3 centuries ago to map curved earth surface onto plan maps. Beautiful math solutions to project curved earth onto planes were devised by them and I'm sure that FS can be used to do the same thing with OnShape.