Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Issues with Assemblies and Sketches

april_wilksapril_wilks Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Community Support
I have been having several issues with this and I need to know if anyone else has had these and would be able to help me out.

First I will start out with the Assembly.  I am trying to use a Revolute mate and restrict the rotation to a simple degree.  Seems simple enough. I select the limit option and enter 0 degree as my minimum and then enter something like 45 degree for my maximum.  Simple right?... well this is until I try to rotate the part only to find that it only rotates in the negative direction. I have tried and tried to correct this and no matter what, it will only rotate in the wrong direction. It will only rotate in the correct direction if I change the orientation of my part by flipping it 180. My part is already in the orientation that I want. Why is my part rotating in the wrong direction? Am I missing something?

My other problem may be something very simple but when in sketch mode, I want to use the fillet tool. I select the tool, select the point I want my fillet and then edit the dimension to get the size I need. NOW, my issue comes into play when I want to add another fillet of a different size, smaller, in another location. There is no option to enter a radius dimension before selecting my point so I get an error saying that the radius is too large for the selected point or something like that. Anyway, how do I add fillets of different sizes in the same sketch, regardless of size, when I can not enter the dimension before hand?

Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Answers

• Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    edited September 2016
    april_wilks  thanks for posting this issue and trying out assembly. We currently don't support negative angle in limit and limit over 360 deg. So it is little cumbersome to get the angle range involving negative angle like -45 deg to 45 or 315 deg to 45/405 deg. One of the issue is that there are many permutations of different aspects that defines what is positive and negative for mate degree of freedom (dof) measurement like which is first connector, which is second connector, mate primary and secondary alignments, measurement is from first to second or second to first etc. Also from user point of view first and second may not be as important as which is moving. Which is moving is again ambiguous and complex to determine if one of them is not simply fixed. In short there will always be some complexity in understanding the direction of measurement for mate. What we have found working best is showing the direction of measurement on screen and use that to define values. Currently we show the direction of measurement in on screen display during drag while mate is edited. The intent was that it will help user input limit value and understand direction of measurement. We have plans to add more on-screen display to help user understand basis and direction of these measurements.

Having said that we also need to allow negative angle or angle over 360 deg or both to let user choose any range they want and we are working on that.  For now as you found changing the alignments or changing the order of selection should allow to limit in desired range by providing a limit in 0-360 deg range in increasing order. User can also drag to see the value of mate degree of freedom to understand the required input. We understand this is not desired workflow and are working on supporting negative angles and provide more aid to understand direction of mate measurement. 

• Options
    chris_8chris_8 OS Professional Posts: 102 PRO
    For your sketching if a fillet:  instead of selecting the point, try choosing the two lines which create that point.  Now you should get an input box for the radius size. 

• Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    If you added mate connectors to your parts, try rotating the secondary axis of one of the connectors used in your assembly mate. This should change where the 0° angle is located. 
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @april_wilks, 1st question answer:- Onshape does not support negative angle in limit and limit over 360 deg currently. So you can get your desired motion by following below video workaround method step.
    1st step:- Mate connector created
    2nd step: Flip the primary axis to change direction of rotation.

2nd question answer: You created all fillet by point selection method so all fillet taking same radius value which you entered after first point selection. For adding another fillet of a different size, smaller, in another location you need to create fillet by selecting line method. Kindly refer below video for more detail.