Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Constraints: Where two curved lines meet

I'm noticing that my circles aren't connecting straight.  Is there a constraint that I'm missing or something I should be doing to straighten this out?  Here's a link to the public workspace http://bit.ly/2cCOrOj.

Answers

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your workspace is view only, but I imagine you would need a tangent constraint between circles before you patterned
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    What you are looking for is the tangent constraint when you are sketching. The hotkey for this is "t" 
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#sketch-tools-tangent.htm?Highlight=tangent constraint
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    After copying your public doc and looking at the workspace it looks like a fundamental error in the sketch. The goal is to end up with both arcs created to be tangent but the way you've constrained them is preventing that. 
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    robert_wells594robert_wells594 Member Posts: 7
    After copying your public doc and looking at the workspace it looks like a fundamental error in the sketch. The goal is to end up with both arcs created to be tangent but the way you've constrained them is preventing that. 
    Thanks! Any suggestions on how I should have created them?  I'm going by trial and error and learning as I go.  Sorry to ask the newbie questions.
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start with 2 tangent semicircles positioned and constrained exactly how you want. Make sure you control the angle it takes up. For example, if you want a pattern of 10 knurls, make sure the end points are 36deg apart. Next, create a circular sketch pattern. Voila.