Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Slot Movement in Assemblies...

miko_cardenasmiko_cardenas OS Professional Posts: 17
Hi All,

I am trying to construct an assembly which would allow very precise movement along two axis (i.e. slot with two directions).  Any suggestions on approach?  I understand the basic premise of assigning a specific mate to parts in order to allow a specific movement.  But I have no idea how to assign those mates in such a was so as to allow for movement along one axis followed by movement in another axis and then being able to repeat the movement such as in the following slot pattern.  In the attached snippet the dark blue unit would be sliding in and out of the slanted slots...

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have both gone over the available tutorials on assemblies and mates and played around with trying different scenarios and I still have no idea how to go about doing this....

Thanks so much.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    miko_cardenasmiko_cardenas OS Professional Posts: 17
    @philip_thomas,

I tried the tangent function already but had no idea how to work with the parameters.  I will have to go back in and try your suggestion.  Also thanks for reminding me of the priority support.  Hopefully I'll figure it out otherwise I will follow up with  the support.

Thanks again,

Miko
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    I also think in this case you can get much better result by selecting a vertex and curve for tangent mate equivalent to point on a curve constraint.  Curve and point can be brought as sketch and grouped with respective parts. A planar mate can be added to constraint the point on  a plane if needed.