Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating Lure Stencil

terry_vanceterry_vance Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Drawings
Hi, I am new to Onshape and have been working on trying to create a stencil to paint crank bait lures. I have drawn the shape of the lure the best I could based on my limited knowledge of Onshape. I use the spline tool to outline the shape of the lure and then use the resolve function (Symmetric) with an angle on the top of 90 and angle on the bottom resolve of 130 degrees to make the curves of the body. I then used Loft function to fill in the middle. This did not make the exact lure body I was looking for but pretty close.

Now I have been trying to figure out how to split the object and hollow it out into a shell. I have tried the split tool and hollow but have not been able to figure out how to get this to work.

I would like to post a picture here but don't believe I can. My email address is tvance007@yahoo.com if someone is interested in helping me on this issue.

Here is the model.  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6257aad7af0d3a1ff2fcfd77/w/ef69c277cec90782e959ef70/e/23585bb73f7f726094a9699e

Thank you!
Terry

Comments

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @terry_vance thank you for choosing Onshape. 
    This forum is a fantastic place full of very helpful people. You can post pics here, but for even better/faster help, if you post a link to a public document (no one can change it, only see and make a copy), you will have multiple solutions by the end of tomorrow and I will be one of them (although statistically, several people here will know much more about lure design than myself) :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Excellent - I see you have now added a link. 
    Let the fishing frenzy begin! :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @terry_vance - i have taken a look at this and the main problem is that the faces are both concave and convex with very small radii of curvature.
    When you have this situation, shells and thickens will fail in both directions. The way to think about this is to take a square bath sponge and bend it. The thickness of the sponge is the shell (or thicken) dimension. At the point that the sponge creases, the shell (or thicken) will fail. Creating the lure will probably require a little more work. If you wanted to share the original (parametric) document (with perhaps some picture of what you are trying to achieve), i am sure i (and others) could get closer.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    @terry_vance - i have taken a look at this and the main problem is that the faces are both concave and convex with very small radii of curvature.
    When you have this situation, shells and thickens will fail in both directions. The way to think about this is to take a square bath sponge and bend it. The thickness of the sponge is the shell (or thicken) dimension. At the point that the sponge creases, the shell (or thicken) will fail. Creating the lure will probably require a little more work. If you wanted to share the original (parametric) document (with perhaps some picture of what you are trying to achieve), i am sure i (and others) could get closer.

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    terry_vanceterry_vance Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Philip for looking into it. Let me get a picture of the lure that I am trying to make a stencil for and post it.
    Thanks Terry