Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy an Assembly within an OS document

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Using Onshape

I have a part studio tab (PS_Achterwiel) and assembly tab (Assy_Achterwiel) of a spoked wheel. I made a copy of the part tab to PS_Voorwiel within the document to use it for the creation a smaller identical wheel. I also like to have a copy of the assy tab which should be associated to PS_Voorwiel. How do I make such a copy?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Comments

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    This is where our linked documents come into play. Here is a nice video on how to use them: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-how-to-use-linked-documents

Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thank you bradley_sauln for your answer.

However, if I understand the tech-tip correctly then one can linked a copy to another document. I want to have a copy of the assy in the same document.

Let's assume the name the parts in the Onshape document above Velg = A, Band = B, Velg = C, Spaak = D.
    I like to have Assy_Voorwiel, which consists of parts A1, B1, C1, D1 that have the same shape as parts A, B, C, D with differnt dimensions.
    In the world of file based CAD-systems it would be like this:
    1. Parts  A, B, C, D  are in Assy_Achterwiel.
    2. I make a copy from Assy_Achterwiel to Assy_Voorwiel and the CAD-system asks if the new assy should contain A, B, C, D or new copies A1, B1, C1, D1. I like to have the latter.
    3. Now I have a new assy (Assy_Voorwiel) with new parts, still equal to A, B, C, D but changeble to other dimensions.
    In OS I copied the part studio, so I have the new parts (A1, B1, C1, D1) already. But now, how do I get Assy_Voorwiel in document Benz so that I do not have to build a new assy from parts A1, B1, C1, D1?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)