Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Managing revisions and status

Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
Not too sure what these actually do in OS. I see they are located in the properties window; I see they are only accessible on versions not main document. It seems to be more of a word than a file state.

I need to be able to change the status of an entire document to "released" state. This says to production they can fabricate part as shown. If later a revision is needed for what ever reason the document is put back to WIP therefore unlocked for editing. At that time a revision is created so when we release back to shop part gets fabricated as per latest information.

Can this be achieved in OS?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    Josy_La , Yes version management is possible in Onshape. For your case to make document to released state you can create a version so that that version can't be edited.To make changes afterwords  you can create branch of that version and you can edit it.And you can create another version while releasing that changed drawings.In Onshape every user can easily identify the latest version of the document by viewing in Version and history option.
    For more details on version and branching please go through this
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/#docmanagement.htm?Highlight=version

• Options
    Not exactly what I was looking for but I guess its a matter of different thinking and how we can work with it.
  • Options
    Thanks Jason for explaining but like I said I am looking for a different feature.

In our field design stage has an end, it cannot be ongoing. Therefore status of file is a clear instruction for other department that follow. Correct me if I'm wrong but in Onshape unless a user actually opens a document and looks at the properties tracking of revision and state is less obvious, I mean from an external point of view.