Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loading workspace is very slow

Hello!

I'm experiencing some long loading times for my workspaces. The works spaces are fairly simple (Less than 10mb). Any suggestions on how to speed this up. My internet connection is about 20 Mbps using wifi.

Thanks for any help!
Tagged:

Answers

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited October 2016
    @mat_koenemann Depending on the complexity the workspace load can take a bit on the first time load.  Can say how complex (# features / parts) the document has?  Are you opening up a Part Studio that is taking a long time?  What type of hardware do you have?  Operating system, graphics card, browser?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • mat_koenemannmat_koenemann Member Posts: 3
    @lougallo Thank you for responding! The workspaces are fairly simple with five or less parts and maybe 10-20 features per part. Is this a lot? I'm new to OnShape. Yes, it's the part studios that are taking a while to load.

I'm running an older laptop which may be the problem. Early 2011 MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB, and I use Chrome as a browser.

This may be a combination of things but just wanted to check the forum to see if anything stood out as an issue.

Thanks!

Mat
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Hi @mat_koenemann can you clarify how long is long? Your computer spec sounds fine. If you open a Document, close it, then open it again, does it take just as long or is it quicker?

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    I've been experiencing the same slowness since I started importing files from another platform and doing multiple derive within the same part studio. It does not get any faster when document is reopened. When I started on Onshape loading was instantaneous now it takes a least 30 to 60 seconds. My documents are not big; only 5 parts/30 features but a lot of links.
    Nothing...No one has an explanation? 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @Josy_La how big are the imports in terms of file size and/or number number of faces? Also if you are linking from external docs it also needs to load those in the background as well. You should probably open a ticket and share your doc with support. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Neil,

I've created 3 separate documents in OS that serves as libraries; very limited for now since the purpose is testing OS capabilities. The first part studio contains 10 2D profiles (originally blocks) imported from cad (13MB). I did not delete any of the tabs created at import and have inserted the shapes on multiple sketches. The second part studio contains 8 3D fasteners imported from Inventor (2MB). And last part studio contains typical machining preps, this document uses derived profiles from the first document (13MB) on which I added simple extrude features.

We are custom to skeletal based modelling, so to generate that bigger part studio I must derive many profiles and machining preps. Since I've started my part studio loading and editing time was greatly impacted. You can imagine that our full libraries are much bigger and contain hundreds of elements.

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Just to add a data point, I have noticed workspace loading being slower the past week or so than it was previously. I teach with OS and have students share their work for grading. Double-clicking on a feature list item used to immediately take me to a sketch or requester so I could verify the work. Now there is a noticeable delay. These are all fairly simple models, mind you. My grading time seems to have gone up due to waiting for the workspace to regenerate/load. I am starting to worry about the team project that I am about ready to kick off.
  • shai_perednikshai_perednik Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Agreed, I too have noticed workspace loading slowness in the last week or so.  Its iragardless of the document size, part studio feature count, etc..  the workspace is just slower.  I use a variety of devices and on different connection types.  Same thing on all.
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    I've also noticed the same thing. Onshape has been a bit more sluggish for me the last couple of days.