Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Free CAM software to compete with fusion 360/ HSMxpress?

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
I've been dabbling with hsmxpress, and I have to say I'm very impressed. I use it in solidworks not fusion 360 but I just figured I'd mention them since they're probably the closest to a competitive fair licensing software to onshape. Since autodesk now owns HSMworks/xpress I'm wondering if we will ever see HSMxpress in OnShape. They do have a version inside solidworks but that might have been a contractual agreement before autodesk aqcuired the software. Any thoughts on a CAM of similar pricing and functionality that will compete? Really excited to see mastercam/solidcam implentation but would be even more excited to see other CAM software as well.
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com

Comments

• chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for HSMworks

I use HSMXpress within SW all the time so my plan is to create in Onshape, export as SW part, generate G Code from HSMXpress within SW.

Chris Humphris
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Some sort of CAM product that was included with OnS would be great.  There doesn't seem to be much out there that is cost comparable to either of the OnS plans.

Mike
  • rbaekrbaek Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 77
    As seen our partner page, we currently are partnering with SolidCAM and Mastercam to have CAM implemented into Onshape.
  • mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    @rbaek
     yes but not free I'm willing to bet. I can't wait to find out more on the CAM's 
    Saplingstore.com
  • lonnie_1lonnie_1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    I can't wait to see more info on this.  I don't care about the free part.  If you are not paying for the software how do you expect them to pay developers?  I am more curious if it is going to more of an export/import method or another true cloud solution.  For me my CAD system is more of a means of getting models to machine from and like many can't commit to OnShape until the direction is more clear.
    Lonnie said:
    I can't wait to see more info on this.  I don't care about the free part.  If you are not paying for the software how do you expect them to pay developers?  I am more curious if it is going to more of an export/import method or another true cloud solution.  For me my CAD system is more of a means of getting models to machine from and like many can't commit to OnShape until the direction is more clear.
    HSMxpress is already free and they pay their devs.Free is a nice option and even if it were free for premium users only that would encourage me to upgrade as right now I have no real reason to up my account with onShape.
    Saplingstore.com
    @McConnell113  What do they pay them with?  They are really just giving away a portion of the paid product.  If no one paid for the product how would they pay them?  I have no problem with free, just saying that just because the initial price is zero that does not mean there is not cost associated with it .   I use these tools to make money and free can cost you daily in lost time.  The ultimate goal of most free software is to get you to upgrade to a paid version.  I have been using HSMWorks since before there were any free versions of it.  :)

I am not being critical but I have never minded paying for tools that make me money.
    Lonnie said:
    @McConnell113  What do they pay them with?  They are really just giving away a portion of the paid product.  If no one paid for the product how would they pay them?  I have no problem with free, just saying that just because the initial price is zero that does not mean there is not cost associated with it .   I use these tools to make money and free can cost you daily in lost time.  The ultimate goal of most free software is to get you to upgrade to a paid version.  I have been using HSMWorks since before there were any free versions of it.  :)

I am not being critical but I have never minded paying for tools that make me money.
    I'm not saying that software isn't worth it but a kid like me starting out needs a smaller barrier to entry. I don't make enough money to justify a software purchase at the moment. If I were I would be more than willing to pay a premium. To get going and work to that level however I need a low entry and in time I will make things happen.
    Saplingstore.com
    @McConnell113 I understand what you are saying.  It is always a tough situation.  I started on my own about 9 years ago.  I spent about a 15K just in software purchase not to mention maintenance.  So for me I see the currently barrier to entry greatly reduced.  Also keep in mind as that barrier comes down your competition will go up.  It will now be much easier for anyone else to start. BTW great looking products on your website and nice youtube video.
    Thank you for the kind words @Lonnie
    Saplingstore.com