Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Solidworks feature library

Josy_LaJosy_La Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
Does the equivalent exist in OS? This is one of the tool I miss and can't seem to find it in OS. I'm trying to build a library of custom 3D cut out that I could reuse as needed and can easily be inserted using vertex.

Comments

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Between FeatureScript and linked documents, you should be able to follow a similar workflow to the feature library in Solidworks. If you haven't already, check out this link to learn more about FeatureScript: https://www.onshape.com/featurescript.
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Yup - time is right - and to his list i would add 'derived sketches' - essentially providing a library of your standard cut outs.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    Dang! Feature script is not my cup of tea. I'll ask a team mate to look into it. Thanks guys
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Josy_La

Don't worry that featurescript isn't your thing - you don't need to write a single line of code to use custom features!

also - it sounds like derived sketches is what you want. 

:)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    I want to do more than just derive sketches and then model the cut out myself.

Ideally I want to click on a custom feature button that does exactly what is expected each and every time I need it. This means derive a sketch from a library and extrude remove material on one or multiple parts based on a point I select on screen. Can this be achieved and where can I find guide lines to help a non programmer like myself? This is doable in Solidworks and Inventor without having to write our own codes; simply by extracting features and applying them based on references.