Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL as Ref Geometry (Thanks Devs.)

owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
Hi folks.

Just wanted to say thanks to the devs responsible for the new-ish stl import functionality.

I've just finished my first functional item, designed in OS that mates to a part that was only available in STL.

Clicking on a few points to build off was very straight forward.

The part is printing now and will be available to test in the morning, I couldn't have said that pre-onshape :-)

I'm sure this will prove more and more useful as it develops.

Presumably there are plans afoot for functions such as "extrude up-to mesh" and "that looks like a circle inferencing" and the like?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Business Systems and Configuration Controller
HWM-Water Ltd

Comments

• Options
    elifelif Onshape Employees Posts: 50
    Hi Owen,
    We're proud to have improved your workflow! If you don't mind, would you please send improvement requests for meshes via our feedback tool? Since this is a new area for us (and our users!) we would like to better understand what would be the most useful, and what typical workflows are. This way we can make more informed decisions when prioritizing.
    Thanks!
    E.
    Team Lead, Part Studios
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @elif, done. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd