Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I display a grid when I am drawing an sketch?

2»

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,718 PRO
    edited January 30

@aras welcome back to Onshape! Wow, a 9 year old post, cool.

While I don't use a grid, I am surprised at some of the replies dished out in this thread. Usually, we keep it pretty professional on the OS forum. B)

When using a grid in other software, I typically use it to align things. In OS, I simply let it auto snap vertically or horizontally, or assign a constraint, so no need for a grid. Also, no need for pdf drawings, I just share a link to the model with my clients.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Lets go back to the original post, and forget the" I like grids - I don't like grids" issue.
    aras said:
    When I am in sketch mode and drawing a line, how can I know how long my line is? I think for 2D sketches it would be very useful to have a grid that you could use as a guide. Is this currently possible?

answer 1) 2015 didn't have dimension on the "fly" yet, but this would be the best way to answer this now.
    answer 2)
    NeilCooke said:
    Unlikely to happen
    As of this post, On shape has no grid. keep submitting tickets - and best of luck.

• Options
    christopher_leffelchristopher_leffel Member Posts: 2
    As someone with only a modicum of modeling and design experience, including CAD, 3DSMax, Maya and SolidWorks, and a whole giant boatload of IT experience including quite a fair bit of dev and engineering, I find that such a simple request that people genuinely want is still not implemented... 9 *years* later... disappointing to say the least, and certainly not encouraging. At a quick glance, I can't even see a way to import an image on a plane that I could use either as a grid, or a point of reference makes me wonder whether my time with it thus far has been well spent or not.