Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How can I display a grid when I am drawing an sketch?

arasaras Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
When I am in sketch mode and drawing a line, how can I know how long my line is? I think for 2D sketches it would be very useful to have a grid that you could use as a guide. Is this currently possible?

Best Answer

Answers

• david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    I too would like to see a grid system. I submitted a ticket to that effect some time ago. You could submit a ticket also to reinforce the request.

Dave
    David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    @Aras @David_Sohlstrom How are you guys using the grid?  I always turn the grid off in programs like SolidWorks.  It never added value to me.  I'm curious to see how you use it.  With Onshape, when you sketch and then dimension the first sketch element - every other sketch element is scaled to match what you just dimensioned, which in my mind invalidates my need for a grid line.  Look at the second video down on this page, starting at about 2:26 (video of dimensions and constraints)...

https://www.onshape.com/tutorials

@Pete Yodis  I use the grid system in Geomagic all the time. It tells me where I am on the plane I am sketching on. If I want a box centered on the Z axis and 2" square then I can move to X+1Y0 start my line go to Y-1 to X-1 to Y+1 to X+1 and back to X+1Y0 done. No draw a line, dim line length, dim line to Y axis, dim line to X axis, draw next line etc. 
    I can change the grid size on the fly. With snap to grid  and I move to Y+1 and X+1 and left click to start a sketch operation I know I am where I want to be and not at Y+1.0015 and X+.990

Dave

David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited March 2015
    I turn grid and snap off too, I'm too lazy to constantly change the size and hide/show to get better view. Main reason would propably be that I just never actually gave a try to learn how to ease up my work with grid / snap.
    But even if line snaps to grid, I would still add dimensions just to be sure (and in GD to get them into equation editor as parameters)

Before grid I would like to see actual line lenght, circle diameter and rectangle dimensions next to cursor while creating a sketch..
    and maybe even toggle automatic dimensioning on so that you could just fix the dimensions allready in place and not need to use dimensioning tool afterwards? 
    //rami
    And I have grid and snap to grid on 98% of the time in GD.
    I totally agree with your second point.

Dave

David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
  • nada_nixnada_nix Member Posts: 19
    some more comments here: Sizes in sketches
  • a_b523a_b523 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    12/2022: Has this been addressed in the 7 years since posted?  If so, I haven't found it yet.

Is it possible now to use a snap grid for sketching?  I can't find the video mentioned above (link is just generic videos, 41 pages worth.)

It definitely would be helpful, especially for newbies and for doing prototype concept work (quick and dirty) to be able to just set a grid (say 1/8") and snap a series of lines around instead of setting all the constraints as you go.

I'm sure there's some 3D CAD principle I'm missing, but all the prior 2D work I've ever done has benefited from a snap grid at times.  (With ability to turn grid and snap on and off independently.)
  • yodaco_ocadoyyodaco_ocadoy Member Posts: 2
    yeah, still here in 2023, no such luck on this fairly basic request. seems like onshape is all about doing things it own way and not interested in features from other cad software useful or not. Showing/snapping to the grid is a fairly standard cad feature and is very helpful just to see the grid for reference. It seems like such an arbitrary request,
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    I’ve used other parametric CAD systems which have grid options, and never found the need for them. 

Tools like Rhino or Alias or SketchUp, yes, a grid is essential.
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    If you really want a grid you could try using the "wire mesh" feature to create some lines (you can apply it directly to a plane) you can snap to...
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/923cdc7df10ddf99c33196c4/w/f7a85362c107b1b33d0b3cb5/e/ef8c1e8aaf5f36a61ac32fbc

That said I'm with @S1mon, I've never actually had the need for a grid for parametric CAD (you are supposed to use dimensions and "hard" constraints rather than snapping to an arbitrary grid).
    However if Onshape is going to be used by other users than just typical 3D CAD types and enough people are requesting it, who am I to say it shouldn't be available as an option!
  • kriskatekriskate Member Posts: 3
    I'd also like to see a grid feature, it's more intuitive when doing quick prototyping work.
  • nicolas_pohl575nicolas_pohl575 Member Posts: 2
    Also still waiting on this feature
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    edited March 2023
    I too have turned off grid on every parametric program I used that offered it:) Still, different strokes for different folks. Maybe I would like it if I gave it a try again.
  • craig_french207craig_french207 Member Posts: 2
    A Grid is helpful -- I open Eagle or KiCAD, there's a grid which is super helpful for placing components.  With Onshape I'm eyeballing it  - not so helpful!  Seems odd that this request was made over 7 years ago and has never been accommodated.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Unlikely to happen
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • konnor_jeankonnor_jean Member Posts: 2
    Devs answers here are hilarious. CAD software is pretty useless without a grid.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Devs answers here are hilarious. CAD software is pretty useless without a grid.
    LOL
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    Devs answers here are hilarious. CAD Mesh modelling software is pretty useless without a grid.
    Fixed it for you! 
  • stuart_robinsonstuart_robinson Member Posts: 7
    +1 for sketch grid 
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    I simply can't imagine a grid being useful for parametric modeling when designing a product. The whole point of "parametric" is to make features/sketches relatable to parameters/variables/equations, or other features/sketches. Such that design intent is carried through, and design changes don't blow up the model. Not to eyeball them or snap them to an arbitrary grid.
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    I have been using a grid for certain tasks in the past. It is not a necessity for CAD as such, though it can still come handy for tasks were entities need to be positioned in a grid-like system for downstream process or customer requirements. In such cases, a grid provides orientation and speeds up the sketching. One such example I had was switchpanel design, where elements needed to be placed in a 1 1/2" grid (OMG!) while I live in a metric world. I'd the just turn my grid on and snap all the cutouts to that grid, even if I dimensioned it in metric later. Also, in furniture design, this grid thing still appears to be a thing. That said, I'd sure welcome an easily configurable grid as an option.

And here's a little food for thougt: Why can't a grid be parametric? There is not necessarily any contradiction. Why could a grid not be say a dimensionable sketch entity? In that case, it could be edtiable later down the process, even follow variables, and changes to the grid that lies below a sketch could drive the design built upon it.

We should not think grid in the limited way like we know it from traditional CAD, but as what it could be.

And here's a little food for thougt: Why can't a grid be parametric? There is not necessarily any contradiction. Why could a grid not be say a dimensionable sketch entity? In that case, it could be edtiable later down the process, even follow variables, and changes to the grid that lies below a sketch could drive the design built upon it.

You are basically describing what the linear pattern tool does... 
    If for some odd reason you really did want to physically see a "grid" (and snap to it), you could use the "wire mesh" feature I described earlier to create one at whatever spacing you want an on whatever plane you want.
  • martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    It took me a while to find that feature script. Sorry. There appear to be unaccessible copies out there, including the one in the document linked earlier. It does in fact someting quite like described, and it could maybe be put to some use, though I am afraid it is but a workaround for a proper grid. A grid would center on e.g. the origin, it would not accidently get deleted, and possibly resize with the geometry on it and/or be infinite. I played around with the grid feature script, and changing the grid width does strange things to the sketches on it, including suppressing or even deleting those entities that 'fall over the edge' during resize.

I'd still be happier with a well designed and carefully integrated sketch grid functionality.
  • christopher_urquhartchristopher_urquhart Member Posts: 2
    I too would like a grid, people I know that are using the software are using it for designing objects they can 3d Print. And there are no parameters/variables/equations that you are really following. Often times you just have some electronic components you need to design around. So in Sketch mode it's definitely valuable. It's also an intuitive way to quickly measure distance and size without having to create lines and points, and add measuring tools. 
  • phil_mehewphil_mehew Member Posts: 2
    did a google search for how to turn on the grid...and it's not a thing?.....what on earth!!! - I appreciate some may not want it, but plenty do, it's a pretty normal ask in any CAD programme...and you;'d have thought that somewhere between 2015 and now, they'd have found the time...
  • fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 134 PRO
    Just draw a line, and without doing anything else, enter a numerical value which will define the length of said line, and press enter.
    Onshape will scale your sketch to the 1st dimension that you dimension.
  • rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    I assume that most people that like grids, have recently transitioned to OS from another cad system, and miss that feature. Here are some suggestions that might help getting used to OS - In sketches get used to using implied horz. & vert. constraints then dimension on the "fly". This serves the same purpose as a grid & is very easy to edit later on if you need to change something- this is the real power of parametric design. Try this approach , you will get used to it very quickly. Speaking only for myself, I find grids to be annoying and just clutter up the workspace.
  • arasaras Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I asked this question in 2015. I find it funny that every few months a new person comes with the same request and then someone will try to explain to them why they don't need the grid and they just need to change the way they model. Not everyone thinks and learns the same way, and just because you are an expert in something it does not mean you should impose your UI preferences on everyone

Some of the early responses here were very off-putting and attempted at invalidating the use experience of people like me, being disappointed by the lack of a simple grid. I study interaction design and worked as a product designer for many years. I recognize this pattern of BS when I see it. To me this was the reason I left onshape and never made anything else in it after this post. Now I primarily use Rhino and Grasshopper and sometimes fusion 360. I do not use grid system very much but I am happy that the software I use has it when I need it.