Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Piping in an Assembly

Hi, 

I'm now working on a project and I need to CAD all the fuel piping of a diesel tank to it's generator. So, I've got different parts as my diesel tank, my generator and my structures (wall, floor, doors etc.) all together in an Assembly. What I'm now doing to create the piping, is that I create a new part, called ''Piping'', and I try to figure what are the length I need to complete my piping system by checking on my Assembly what are the distance between differents parts. To create this parts, I use Sketch to create my ''sweep path'' and create another sketch to create my circle for my ''sketch region to sweep''.  It is really long and hard to find the good distances and position cause I always need to update my ''Piping'' part in the Assembly to check if my length are good. 

I'd like to be able to create my ''Piping'' part directly in my Assembly, but I don't know how to do it or what else I should do? I mean that I could directly create a sketch on my Assembly and use it to create my ''sweep path'' and my ''sketch region to sweep''.

Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    emile_daoustemile_daoust Member Posts: 6
    So I can import my other parts in my ''Piping" part to help me to figure my distance I need by using derived feature? For that I'll need to create my others parts with specific distance from the origin point (0,0,0) because if I don't, I won't be able to reorder my parts in my ''Piping'' part? So to use derived feature, I should have create all my parts by thinking of theirs position in the space from the origin? Because now, if I use derived feature all my parts position are determined by theirs position from (0,0,0) in theirs own parts studio.
  • Options
    emile_daoustemile_daoust Member Posts: 6
    Thanks alot! I will proceed this way next time for sure