Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

bypass DNS

mlml Member Posts: 53 PRO
after the troubles last friday http://status.onshape.com/incidents/rwzrt2s66k10 would it help to directly tip in the ip of the login page cad.onshape.com in such a case? as far is I understood it, the DNS has been overloaded, but not the service as itself.

Yep, I know 'nslookup' but would like to hear if it makes sense and if yes, is it wished explicitly to which adress.

Comments

• Options
    john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 360
    Hi @ml. Sorry for the troubles last Friday. It certainly was an interesting day. 

The companies that were sending out their IP address as a workaround on Friday are only using HTTP, not the secure HTTPS like Onshape does. If you try this, web browsers will look at the SSL certificate that our servers provide, see that they are for the "onshape.com" domain and will tell you that the connection is not secure. Even if you ignore this message (which you should never do), you will not be able to login. The encrypted "cookie" that tells your browser that you have logged in is only for onshape.com and will not be sent to the IP address. 

This is all part of the substantial investment we make in keeping your data secure. I completely understand how frustrating it is to not be able to access your work, but keeping it secure is a top priority for us.

We are working on setting up redundant mechanisms to prevent this type of attack from disrupting access to our servers in the future. 

-John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.