Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Design wing with ribs for 3d printing

pieri70pieri70 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in Community Support
Hello
I'm not an engineer but it's some time I play with Onshape mainly for hobby/personal projects.
I'm trying to find a way to design models with single external surface and internal structures, such as wings

My goal is to design wings and fuselages that will be printed in single wall 3d printing technique.
On the web you can find many examples like the ones sold by 3dlabprint (https://3dlabprint.com/index.php).

In those RC models wings are surfaces (single wall) with internal thin ribs.
I found how to import wing profiles and then I can generate the wing with Loft tool - Surface

Then how can I add internal structures? I was trying to create the drawing of ribs on an external plane then I tried to extrude them and intersect with the loft, without success...

Can someone please give me some hint on how to deal with this kind of drawings?

Thanks
Pietro

Answers

• Options
    I had a look at surfacing webinar on Youtube, I think that is the direction...
    Still looking for hints
  • Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 211
    Here is a nice airfoil feature that one of my coworkers made: 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/972dc31f395640d97dd6edca/w/8125816b48d1d07ebf0af701/e/b0dd208496a64d28d34778f4

Just click the + button at the top to add the feature to your toolbar.

To add more profiles you need to:
     * Make a copy of the document
     * Upload a .csv to the document
     * Import that newly uploaded .csv into the FeatureStudio
     * Add your new profiles .csv to the "entries" section in the FeatureStudio

You could then do an Extrude remove to make the airfoil made a series of ribs.

Let me know if you need any help,

Jason
    Support & QA
  • Options
    Thanks Jason
    I saw it!
    I see there are two csv is it for root/tip sections?
    In CSV there are 4 column, comma separated. These are X/upper profile and X/lower profile, this is what I discovered opening it in excel.

My goal is to add ribs that aren't parallel to the two airfoils..
    Instead I'll like to use angled ribs and "spars".

I saw in Surfacing webinar and other places that I can extrude surfaces.
    I think if it's possible to create a mean plane passing trough the two airfoils.
    On this plane many sketches to design ribs and then simmetrical extrusion to the upper/lower surface of the "loft" (i.e. wing surface)
    Then thickening..

Is it possible?
    Bye