Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Draw for Hire Forum? Modeling Competition to Spec? Modeling Brokerage?

joseph_ellsworthjoseph_ellsworth Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
There are some ideas that I don't have time to model but need as components.    We need something like Dice supported by Onshape so I could put ideas I want modeled out for people to Bid or compete on?  EG: The Ebay of drawing services.

On similar sites for software is either somebody posts a prize such as $25 and they get to see the working version from everybody who posts an answer then the answer they choose gets paid.  They get the source for the answer they choose.    In other sites it works so you post the pictures or ideas and people bid with example work from their portfolio and you choose a vendor from the respondents.  In all cases the forum owner takes the money and pays the other party so you don't create a 1099 liability.     In some instances the part becomes public while in others it remains private. 
  • The most obvious way for OnShape is to support both the work for hire and open competition model similar to Quora with a chosen winner.  The difference is the winner actually gets paid.   I say this because you want a way for emergent drawers with no track record to win some business.   This could be a great way for OnShape to pick up millions of users from developing nations while we could access the low cost talent. 
  • Onshape would have an interesting capability where once people build the model to meet the spec they could record a short video of the part from different angles or with the motion working in the assembly.  The buyer could see the video but not access the model until they select a winner.    Or they could make the sample model available in a read only viewer that can not be copied, edited, exported or imported to another drawing so the buyer could use the motion view of the completed assembly as normal.   The people who compete could specify that their model is private unless purchased or to be made public when the competition closed. 
  • Another obvious add on for the OnShape brokerage is to post specs and pictures of what you want but sell skype or google talk screen share sessions for 1 hour sessions where somebody who has expertise to draw that kind of thing can share with the person who needs it.     I know I would probably spend a couple hundred a month for this kind of dedicated one on one training but only if I could find the people who really know the topic.   OnShape could also package these sessions and make them available for access via the brokerage.
This seems a nice way for On-shape to obtain income from me before I convert to a professional membership.   In fact it is a more palatable and potentially more scalable way to obtain revenue from me.   If they took 25% off the top as the broker they could probably make more than they would from my professional fees.   What they might consider is once I spend enough in the brokerage that they have made my 1,200 in fees they make my professional membership free. 

As an expert architect of web and RIA based applications I would love to build the brokerage for OnShape.  I might even do the work for free as long as OnShape sells, promotes and integrates it into their user experience.    My payment would come as a revenue share from OnShape for whatever they keep as the broker. 
  • I would also build the portion so those who build models they want to sell access to can list them in the brokerage.   It then becomes a search optimization problem to help people find the models that meet their needs.   
  • I would suggest that all payments are made through a company like PayPal or a similar competitor and that we would want one that handles the 1099 overhead as part of their service. 

An and example I found the following picture on ebay.  I want something like it modeled but want the nipple sizes, outer dimensions,  dimensions of inner tube,  coil density of inner tube specified as variables so they can be changed to support different sizing. 

On a related question once you draw a part like this how do you package it so it can be imported to other drawing files and used?