Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

SimScale Exporting problems

Hi,

I am trying to export the geometry below to SimScale for a stress analysis but unfortunately the geometry fails to import successfully. Please see the second image below.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

David 

Answers

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 211
    edited November 2016
    David,

Could you make your document public and give the link here? It would help to have the model to better understand where the geometry handoff is going awry.

I suspect if you try to repair your model around the loop it might work better. The surfaces and lines dangling in the SimScale view hint to geometry creation errors.

Thanks!

Jason

Support & QA
  • Options
    david_osuna_contrerasdavid_osuna_contreras Member Posts: 2
    Hi @Jason_S,

Here's the link to the model. I've also made it public.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/580fade231c9f310da39e1ed/w/e872566971555aa7bcbee35a/e/c72a6ee4cc3a4130df702bee

I tried repairing the model without much success. If you can point me at the cause of the problem, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    ahussainahussain Member Posts: 2
    Hey David (@david_osuna_contreras) and Jason (@Jason_S),

I managed to solve your case by just splitting the circular face of your eye bolt via Right plane. Please see the figure below taken on Onshape:

and the figure below taken on SimScale after import:

I think it seems to have problem in importing the circular ring with the face partition and merging with the lower part you have. I managed to import only the circular ring without cutout in to SimScale easily but with face cutout from the above partition and lower solid partition doesn't seems to work here. Sometimes, visually the parts looks good in CAD tools but due to some missing partitioning they don't remain as it is after import. May be there are some weird NURBS playing a bad role here.

I hope this helps. If you have any question/s, feel free to ask.

Best,
    Ahmed