Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Alignment guides and Sketchs vs Drawings

Hi,
Is there a way to lay out alignment guides that would aid in precise placement of several entities within a sketch? For example, perhaps I want to place a line of holes some distance from an edge, or in a circular pattern. One might lay out a guide line (or circle), which is only to aid in understanding the drawing, but is not part of the part itself.

One more thing. I'm new to Onshape and I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but can someone explain the difference between a sketch and a drawing? 

Thanks,
Val

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Hi Val,

On 'precise placement of entities'.  The three main ways in OS sketch to control placement is constraints, construction lines, and dimensions.  To place a line of holes along an  edge you could sketch points or circles with their centers horizontal, vertical, or coincident with a construction line.  You can also make a arc or circle a construction type line and then constrain the points or circles to that.  

The OS website is full of great videos.  Maybe check out the sketch constraints at https://www.onshape.com/videos/dimensions-and-constraints.

Hope that helps!

Bruce
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as for sketch vs drawing - sketches are used in the part studio to design geometry, while drawings are representations of parts/assemblies for documentation/manufacturing purposes. So, sketches drive parts, and parts/assemblies drive drawings.