Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Google Earth Pro

eric_west960eric_west960 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
As many of us know, one can create models for Google Earth Pro and place it on the map (say a house, or a simple cylinder). This is how many of the city buildings are created and displayed. Traditionally, this was done with SketchUp, which was, at one time free, but was sold off by Google. Its OK, I guess, but if you want to make a change further down the design cycle with SketchUp, it's often easier to just start over. The SketchUp models are based on Collada .dae files.

Yuck.

Onshape does Collada export files. In fact, if I draw a sketch on the Front plane, and then extrude it toward the "back" direction, Low and behold, a part can be exported as a Collada file and then imported as a Google Pro model.

Google Earth Pro:
My Places pane -> click on some Placemark tack, or create a Placemark (helps coordinates for next step) -> go to Add pull down menu -> Select Model -> in the New Model window, in the link field browse to the path of the .dae model that was created (hopefully the lat., long. coordinates are near by (see above) -> click Ok -- you now have a model.

If you right click under the model you created in the My Places Pane, you can move the model around to where you like it.

yea

BUT.. The units of the model are WAY off, unlike an import from SketchUp. bumber, such a model is just a step away from perfection.

boo

Onshape: Workspace units... -> default unit length -> foot
Google Earth Pro: Tools -> Options... -> Units of Measurement -> Feet, Miles

If you haven't tried this before, I suggest you give it a whirl, it's kinda fun. I sure would appreciate any feedback on matching the units to Google Earth, if someone is successful.

Comments

• Options
    tcthornberrytcthornberry Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way to see a .dae file in street view?
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    eric_west960 said:
    Traditionally, this was done with SketchUp, which was, at one time free, but was sold off by Google.
    You can actually still get Sketchup Make. You just have to find it first. :smile:
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    tcthornberrytcthornberry Member Posts: 3
    I know I have seen MicroStation do this with 3d models that show up in google street view. I am wondering if .dae files can do the same thing. Also wondering if these models can be seen on an iOS version of google earth, or if you have had any such luck with this.