Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

(Partial) Alternative to parts library via hole command

I'm trialing OnShape and I'm impressed so far, but it makes me appreciate how much Solidworks has evolved over time.  One feature I'm missing terribly is a decent parts library.  I see that they are planning to rely on (paid?) third party vendors.  That makes me a bit sad, but I have one suggestion that OnShape and just about any other CAD package.  If you have a hole command that defines the type of fastener, why not actually put in a real or cosmetic fastener.  Maybe include a washer option.  I'd also like to see a dowel pin option similar to SW.....I use it fairly frequently. Does this seem useful?  I don't always model fasteners in my assemblies, but I would like to if it was fairly simple......yeah, I have been burned once or twice...(:

Comments

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @mark_fisher901, +1 for your suggestion.
    Currently this facility is not available in Onshape. You can raise improvement request for this. In near future we hope that this facility will be provided by Onshape like other CAD tool.
    Alternate solution:- Currently Onshape provided some content apps in appstore which user can use without any cost. You can choose any apps from them.

• Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    If non of the apps in our store fulfill your needs, you could create your own standard parts library with a bit of work. This workflow revolves around the use of linked documents. You could create a document and import/create the basic fasteners/parts that you use quite often in your designs. Then, using the derived feature, you could bring those parts into whatever document you are currently working on. As @viru mentioned, please submit an improvement request if you would like to see a standard pars library in Onshape. Simply select the "?" button in the top right and click "Feedback".
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.