Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

PDF Export of 2D drawings results in LARGE file

kvdmolenpkvdmolenp Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hi,

When I export certain 2D drawings to PDF, they become 5mb. Some others (not much simpler drawings) are under 100kb.

Now I can't send multiple PDF's in one email because it exceeds 20mb quickly,

Perhaps has to do with some history (reload part, edit drawing).

Any ideas to reduce the size?

Thanks!
Klaas

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited December 2016
    I believe there was a similar post citing particular fonts as causing an issue.  I'm sure an OS person will be along in a few hours once those blasted Americans have woken up and got out of bed... ;)
    Owen S,
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Rob_CampbellRob_Campbell Member Posts: 2
    I just encountered this and it is insane. I thought it must be creating 3D PDFs!

"Reprinting" it with another PDF tool (I use Foxit PDF viewer) creates a much smaller file with no resolution loss (it's still a vector-based file). 

Apparently, the default setting in SolidWorks is to include fonts as well, but for whatever, the resulting size of the PDF is 50-100X smaller. So either SolidWorks is not really embedding fonts, or there is a more elegant way to just embed what is necessary without the file ballooning. 
  • Options
    Rob_CampbellRob_Campbell Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2016
    I just re-read your response, @pete_yodis, and it sounds like OnShape may need to consult with a developer with more expertise in PDF, because my SolidWorks-created PDFs are searchable, look great, and - again - 50-100X smaller than OnShape PDF files.

Rasterizing the print sounds like a very poor way to address this.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 521
    @Rob_Campbell There is definitely room for improvement when fonts are embedded.  That will be improved as we move forward as well.    We will be reducing the number of scenarios when a larger PDF file is created.  Our platform is different compared to a desktop installed system which sometimes makes these issues a little different.