Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

assembly degrees of freedom

Is there a way to see if an assembly is fully constrained, and if it's not, to identify its degrees of freedom?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 273 PRO
    Click the "limit" button when setting a mate.
  • Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 273 PRO
    Sorry, I read that wrong.  If you want to see how much items can move within the limits of a mate click the play button ">" and it will animate.
  • Options
    noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @jonathan_mizrahi827 , while there is no "click to check if my assembly is fully constrained" button, you can animate the entire assembly and visually see the degrees of freedom allowed. The play button within a mate dialogue as @tony_castongia's mentioned will only animate that single mate. If you right click a mate after it is applied and then click "Animate," it will animate that mate and any others those parts are included in. This is a good way to visualize your assembly's overall motion and, indirectly, it's degrees of freedom. Note, however, that the animate command only animates one of a mate's possible degrees of freedom. A pin and slot mate, for example, has two (translate in x, rotate about z) but when you go to animate it, you must choose one.

Hope this helps,
    Noa
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • Options
    jonathan_mizrahi827jonathan_mizrahi827 Member Posts: 5 PRO
    Thanks for the help. It looks like that only works on the level of a single mate. For example, if I have two parts connected at two holes by two revolute mates (or revolute + cylindrical), the parts are fully constrained. However, if I animate either revolute mate, it will spin the part about the hole.
    More generally, if I have a large assembly consisting of many parts and many mates, it would be very helpful to be able to see, across the entire assembly, where it is not constrained.