Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

variable available in multiple part studios

I don't really know how to formulate my problem correctly, so i'll just explain the situation.

I enjoy building wooden furniture (as a hobby). Depending on available material, I would like to have some variables I could use for entering the basic dimensions of the material (e.g. thickness of plywood sheet, board sections...), so when using different material, I adapt the variables and the model adapts accordingly. This works fine if everything is in one part studio.
Now, how do I create variables valid for all part studios in a document, as I would like to use multiple part studios and don't want to have to enter everything again and again (with the risk of missing one)?

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,178
    While we don't have global variables yet, you can work around this with FeatureScript (if you're not afraid of a little code): write a custom feature that sets the variables to the values you want (using the setVariable call) and then have that custom feature be the first feature in all of your part studios.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc