Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exported Sketch to DXF. Length dimensions are not equal to Sketch dimensions.

mike_mmike_m Member Posts: 1
Hi Folks...

1) I created a simple Sketch of a triangle with view = Top.  The three points of the triangle were constrained/joined/glued together.  Line lengths were drawn with length values quite a bit smaller than what I wanted due to scale and default starting zoom.

2) To set each line to the desired length, I added a dimension object to each line.  Then, I set the length value of each line-length dimension to 24.528, 23.200, and 17.694 respectively.  I could see the lengths of each line change as I entered each length-dimension value.  The end-points all stayed 'glued' together as the angles and line lengths changed.

3) Exported to DXF.  Then imported the DXF back into OnShape.  Then added a point-to-point dimension for each line of the triangle.  All of the DXF line lengths are different than than the Sketch line lengths.  For example, the line that was 23.2 in the Sketch is 21.667 in the DXF.  Same thing happens with DWG files.

I'm trying to print the triangle to scale on a plotter with the exact dimensions that  I created in the Sketch.  What am I doing wrong?  I also tried printing the Sketch file directly from OnShape and was not able to print to scale.  That's why I tried exporting to DXF and DWG...  with the hope of printing to scale.

Thanks,

Mike