Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL and G files for 3D printing

I have modeled a couple of simple parts using ONSHAPE and saved them as STL files for 3D printing.
These files were then sent to CURA or REPETIER software to slice them and create G files.
All ONSHAPE files were corrupted and the software could not create G files.
I have created same models on INVENTOR, SOLID WORKS and CREO and all of  them were ok.
Is there something that I am missing in ONSHAPE ?
Eventually I would like to use ONSHAPE for crating files so they could be used fro 3D printing 

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    Many many people have 3D printed Onshape models exported in stl.  To make it possible for the community to diagnose the issue, please post a link to your public document.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Happy to help, either by looking at the .stl or the source Onshape doc.  (I don't have CURA or Repetier, but use OS most days to generate STL's for our 3D printers.)

Cheers,

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    robert_morrisrobert_morris OS Professional, Developers Posts: 166 PRO
    What options are you using for the export?
    Perhaps Cura isn't liking the file because of the way one of them is set.

Here is what we use:
    STL Format: Binary
    Units: Millimeter
    Resolution: Fine

We've exported a lot of models from Onshape to be 3D printed with Cura using these options, and we haven't had any issues with corrupted files so far.

I'd also be willing to look at the model and help out if I can.

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never had a failure slicing an Onshape part that was exported to STL and use the same settings as @robert_morris

I use the proprietary slicer for my Zortrax M200 printer, which is probably more fussy than Cura or Slic3r.