Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I trim an extrude to the surface of a curved face

matthew_rochematthew_roche Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
Hi,  I am putting a recessed hole in a box where I want to put a screw to attach the top and bottom of a 2 part box.  I think pretty standard.  I know the answer to my question is somewhere in the internet but I cant find the appropriate words to search with:-)

See My Screen Shot below.   Everything is perfect but I am left with a circle extrude that I want to trim to the surface of the box.  I cannot figure out how to do it.  Any help would be appreciated?

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Matthew,

Do the following:
    1) Click on the extrude tool
    2) Select the circular face at the end of the tube that is sticking out 
    3) Switch 'Add' to 'Remove'
    3) Switch 'Blind' to 'Up to face'
    4) An arrow should appear somewhere on/around the circular face, if the arrow is facing away from the curved trim surface, click the 'opposite direction' button next to 'Up to face'. The arrow should now be facing towards the trim surface.
    5) For the 'Up to face' box, select the curved surface you want to trim to.
    6) Commit and party!

Let me know if this works :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know exactly how that circular extrude was created, but if it was formed using an actual Extrude feature, you could just change the end condition to Up to Face. This is similar to what @Jake_Rosenfeld suggested, but it would not be an extra feature - just editing of an existing feature.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    matthew_roche , You can do by two method
    1) Replace face
    2) Delete face
    Kindly refer below video for more detail,