Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Measuring diameter

jeff_krolljeff_kroll Member Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Community Support
For I have been experimenting with some drafted circular extrusions, and selecting the circle at the far end of the extrusion to get the measurement of the final diameter. All of a sudden Onshape won't let me select the circle, only the circular face, and it gives me the area. Did I change a setting, or did measure change the way it works.

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Jeff,

I just tried this in 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cfc5dacca474c4bc3a8526d1/w/19748275a51c5aceda8d6171/e/7cc5234cfb1cabe2d63248cf 
    and it seems to still work for me.

I did it by:
    1. Extruding the circle with a draft
    2. Committing the extrude
    3. Clicking on the edge of the newly created circle (clicking the edge gives me the diameter and clicking anywhere else on the face gives me the area).

Could you share your document or describe your workflow on this? Are you trying to select the resulting edge while the extrude feature dialog is still open?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    I was committing the extrude, then selecting the newly created circle. I just tried it again and it worked. This time I was on my Windows(Chrome) machine as opposed to OSX(Chrome) I was working on last night, maybe that had something to do with it. I was also having problems with my middle mouse button suddenly not performing pan, so it could all be on my end.

This is the document, not that it means anything now: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/586f1352510777104877cbb2/w/6ecd3a9f93c8d3d90cc3faa4/e/3939e6448aafbd71211e7a8a. Specifically the problematic part was "Pentel 120 A3 DX", Extrude 9.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Glad to hear that it's fixed now.  

I tried on my Macbook with chrome and it worked fine, but the middle mouse pan is pretty strange. If it happens again, try refreshing, then if the problem continues please log a bug with support (using the 'feedback' link under the '?' menu in the top right corner).  Using the feedback will give us some information about your operating system and browser so that we can try to reproduce your issue in-house.
  • Options
    Alright, it happened again. I did a forced reload and it worked OK.
  • Options
    Hi again, glad to hear it's fixable with a forced refresh, but since it's happening repeatedly it sounds like an actual bug and not just browser weirdness. When you get a chance, could you use the Feedback dialog under the '?' menu to log a bug in our system? No need to wait for it to happen again to log the feedback, but please log the feedback from the same computer and browser where the issue happens.  Please include as much information as possible in the feedback about what specifically happens (unable to select edges, middle mouse won't pan, etc).