Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

In-context primary instance

fmafma Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
edited January 2017 in Community Support
Hi!

I have a problem with the in-context editing.

I first created a in-context part, selected the part origin (the global origin), and made my part. It shows as an in-context part.

I then created a second part, using the same origin, but this time, the part is not shown as an in-context part. But I can edit it in context! At first, in the part tab, I didn't have any context. Now, I have 2! I don't know what happened. But then, when I try to update one of the context, it says that I need to set the primary instance of that context. But I can't, as in the assembly, this part still doesn't show as a in-context part...

I'm lost... Could someone tell my what I did wrong, and how can I fix that?

My design is call 'BB-8 - fma' (BTW, how can I give a direct link to it, here?).

Thanks for you help.

Answers

• Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    For update to happen it requires primary instance to be set and an in-context reference used in feature. We currently don't show in-context icon unless there is a real in-context reference used in a feature and so it is not showing interface to set primary instance. This workflow fell through the crack but I am also not sure the reason to not create external reference and still wanting a context. For now create a dummy external reference in Head roll gamble like a dummy sketch using an edge or something like that and you will get in context icon to set "primary instance".

Do you intend to create external reference? If not you can just delete the context also and just do edit in context whenever you need to see assembly graphics. 
  • Options
    Thanks for your answer.

In fact, I wanted to have an external reference: I though that using the origin was enough. And this is what I did with Drive shaft part: I just extruded a circle which center is at origin. In Head roll gimbal, my symmetric axes are on the origin. So, why is there a difference?
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Thanks for the feedback and trying in-context editing. The origin/mate connector used to create part studio is only to position assembly and doesn't create parametric relationship between part studio and assembly origin/mate connector. What we found that many times users want motion between initial selected origin/mate connector and part studio origin and so creating a parametric relationship to assembly will limit that and complicate things and result to a new workflow.

In your document the difference is that in drive shaft "Extrude 1" is using an assembly reference in up-to part. That does not seem intended as then extrude definition is changed to blind but that is what is making the context to have a used in-context reference. In "Head roll gimbal" there is no feature using assembly reference. It probably had at some point of time because we create a context only when it is used in a feature. Technically we can show in context icon even if feature is not using a reference and we can look into it. However I think it is best to create a parametric relationship between some-other part in assembly and part studio being edited if you intend part studio to be always in sync with assembly or delete the context and have assembly graphics appear only when needed for viewing purpose only.

I think the confusion is that we don't treat original assembly selection as in-context reference but we wanted to keep things a bit simpler and have same mental model for new part vs existing part edited in in-context. This is a complex workflow and so thanks again for providing feedback and trying it out. 
  • Options
    Ok, I get it.
    And thanks to you for providing such great feature!