Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3Dconnexion driver for linux

silviu_berbinschisilviu_berbinschi Member Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Community Support
Hi all,

Could you help me with this issue? I want to use my enterprise kit from 3Dconnexion on linux. They ddon't offer linux drivers on their site.
Could you try to push them to develop linux driver for their products? Or there is another solution..

Thanks for support, any suggestion would be useful.
Best regards,
Silviu

Answers

• Options
    martin_alvinmartin_alvin Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    3dconnexion do not support linux anymore. Maybe onshape could work together with the open source driver, http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/ to get it to work with onshape on linux?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
  • Options
    rubin110rubin110 Member Posts: 2
    I would like this as well. The latest Linux drivers from 3Dconnexion predate the update to support web applications. I mostly use Linux and it would be amazing if my Spacenavigator worked with this web app. Currently I use it with FreeCAD through the Spacenav project, as linked to in a previous comment.

Honestly I would pay for this feature.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    3dconnexion no longer support Linux mainly because Linux is not a "professional" platform (never used as client operating system in companies but often used as servers - go figure). Perhaps you can contact the SpaceNav project to see if they could support Onshape. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilCooke said:
    ... because Linux is not a "professional" platform ...
    nonsense ;-)

Professionals love linux. Hope 3Dconnexion change their minds
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Options
    ben_wardben_ward Member Posts: 2
    3dconnexion do not support linux anymore. Maybe onshape could work together with the open source driver, http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/ to get it to work with onshape on linux?
    My Windows install got corrupted (thanks windows update) and due to the nature of the issue I couldn't fix it without wiping it so I thought I might as well go with linux! Sad to see that I can't use my spacemouse with onshape. 

I'm sure the spacenav guys would be absolutely on board with getting some browser-compatible drivers going if onshape reached out to them. opensource drivers would open the doors for chromebook support too I'm sure, and onshape love chromebooks!
  • Options
    mark_hahnmark_hahn Member Posts: 1
    I was excited to try onshape because I have to run windows under vmware in my Linux system for Fusion 360.  I liked the idea of using cad anywhere but not being able to use my 3dConnexion mouse is a show-stopper.  This is quite a disappointment.  

BTW:  There was a mention of linux not being used by professionals.  I have two problems with that statement.  One, CAD is needed by non-professionals.  Two, I take offense that I am not considered a professional since I use Linux.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    @mark_hahn - please contact 3Dconnexion support - they dropped Linux support because they didn't see enough users requesting it and therefore have not assigned any resources to it. If enough people request it, maybe they will change their minds.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI