Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Wrapping tread accurately around a tyre - possible?

SledDriverSledDriver Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Community Support
I've been attempting to wrap an accurate tread pattern around a tyre, but the results are unsatisfactory. Check out this document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/589323adb204b50ff2cad640/w/841a281b817a68bea31e61fa/e/4e0c720dc39bd17743dda3b0

If you look at Version 1 of the document you can see the 'valleys' of the tread are stepped, and not consistent in depth. This is because I cannot see how I can map the basic tread sketch pattern onto a curved surface.

If you go to the Main version of the document you can see the problem. The sketch is flat, and the tyre surface isn't.

If I could just map a sketch to a curved surface accurately I could then thicken it and boolean it with the tyre, but I'm falling at that first hurdle.

Other than turning my brain inside out doing extreme 3D construction and projection/intersection of curves to compute a curved tread starter pattern, does anyone have a manageable method of producing an accurate result with consistent depth tread throughout the tread pattern around the tyre?

I looked for a FeatureScript which might help but didn't find one.

Is this functionality likely to be coming to OS any time soon? It seems OS needs a new set of tools for things which are not simple geometrically.

Cheers,
John

Best Answer

Answers