Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude - Remove Solid creates unwanted parts

matthias_hessmatthias_hess Member Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Community Support
I want to cut out letters from a solid block. I create a text object in a drawing, then extrude it with the "remove solid, through all" option. This removes the material from the object, exactly as I want it. However, letters like A, O and Q have enclosed areas, which are causing me troubles. For example, when I extrude the capital letter A, the small triangle inside the letter is left behind, and this triangle becomes a new part.

Now when I use the part studio in an assembly these small "Particles" are cluttering my assembly workspace, because when I move my part, these small particles dont move with it.

- Is there a way to avoid creating these "particles" in the first place?
- Or can I (in the Assembly workspace) group all parts from a part studion to have then move as a singe unit?

-matthias

Answers

• Options
    matthias_hessmatthias_hess Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    I guess I figured it out. Please correct me if I am wrong:

When I subtract material from a part in such a way that the remainder consist of two, well, parts that are not connected, then I have two parts. There is nothing I can do to prevent it. My solution: I just attached some sort of a backplate to my letters. This made it possible to combine everything together into one single part, using the Union operation.
  • Options
    PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Hi @matthias_hess

Glad you got it figured out. Would it save you some steps if instead of cutting the letters all the way through you only cut them part way to start with?