Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

In "Onshape" speak, what is the definition of "workspace", and what is "main" all about?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I get the definition of a Onshape "Document": a container that holds (really tracks) information supporting a specific design activity (a project), but what is a workspace?  

Comment: I do not understand why Onshape had to add new meaning to the word "document" when there are ready other words commonly in use in CAD industry that do a better job of communicating the concept, ex what is wrong with the terms "Project"? 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Michael,

I want to commend you for your thorough attempt to try to educate me on what is reported to be an important and unique feature in Onshape. I have read through your response twice and I am still confused. This is mostly likely my fault, but I am going to have study your response and see if I can express the concept you describe in Onshape.

I am familiar with the concept of branching from a software development perspective, but have not seen its nomenclature used in the Mechanical CAD world.

From what I can determine the terms "Workspace" and "Document" are functionally equivalent; obviously this cannot true because you have must have had very precise reason to use different terms, but I am at a loss as to understanding the differences. 

Source of Confusion:
    When I copy a "Workspace" is appears a new "Document".
    Why isn't there a copy "Document" function?
    I do not see anything in a copied "Workspace" document that indicates it originated, or has any sort of data dependency to its original.

I am also going to read/study the Data Management section available in the on-line "Help".

Stephen

• Options
    I have studied your initial response, read the Data Management section in On-line Help and read the referenced Blog post. I think I have a much better understanding of how Onspace does data management to facilitate collaborative concurrent design. It is radically, different that anything that have used in other CAD products and I think I can appreciate what you are trying to accomplish.

Based on personal experience I can tell you this data management abstraction is going to be difficult for many users to get a handle on and then know how to use effectively. Knowing how a CAD product manages data is by far the most important thing to be learned before someone is "turned loose" to create content.

I would like to make some statements about what I think I have learned and have you comment on their accuracy/completeness.

1) A "Workplace" is not a thing but a place were things are created and modified.
    2) A new "Document" is initialized with a "Workspace" named "main" (which can be renamed). Additional "Workspaces" can be created within the same "Document" by using the "Branch to create workspace..." function.
    3) Branches are created from specific snapshot states (versions) of a "Workspace".
    4) Multiple authorized users can simultaneously make changes to any part-studio, drawing, assembly in any branch ("Workspace") in a "Document".
    5) All additions and modifications are recorded (journalized) to the individual who made them.
    6) Changes made in any branch (Document Workspace) can be pushed (Merged) into any other "Workspace" in the same "Document".
    7) Care needs to be taken when merging changes from one branch to another because the changes in the "target" branch will be overwrite changes by the "source" branch.

I have a bunch of questions related to working with assemblies (love the assy constraint tools) - building product hierarchies to support a delivered product and the product life cycle. But I first want to read through the On-line help before I ask any question. I will submit my question(s) in another forum post.

Stephen G