Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linear pattern Tool???

ray_sleeperray_sleeper Member Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Community Support
Could some one explain how to use the linear pattern tool?
How do I choose a direction?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    JinJin Member Posts: 8
    viru said:
    @ray_sleeper, Please refer below step for part and sketch linear pattern.
    1. Use Centered to make the seed instance/face/feature as the center of the pattern.

In this case, the instance count is N instances from the seed (inclusive of the seed) in one direction and N instances from the seed (inclusive of the seed) in the other direction. With N being the number you enter in the Instance count field in the dialog:

Hi,

I have one question regarding the centered option. I am trying to make ventilation cuts in a plastic casing and I used the pattern tool on an extrude feature to create them. Then I used a mirror feature to copy those cuts to the other side of the casing. Now, I noticed that the center piece is not becoming part of the mirrored linear pattern - it is missing on the other side.

What am I doing wrong?

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Wow, that first reply was a loooong copy/paste, @viru :p Next time just paste a link to the help file?

@Jin, the pattern and the seed are different features. In the Mirror definition, make sure you select the seed feature, too.

Also, everyone at Onshape will tell you that feature patterns/mirrors are much slower to rebuild than face/body patterns.
  • Options
    JinJin Member Posts: 8
    mahir said:

@Jin, the pattern and the seed are different features. In the Mirror definition, make sure you select the seed feature, too.
    Aah... that explains it, thank you!

mahir said:

Also, everyone at Onshape will tell you that feature patterns/mirrors are much slower to rebuild than face/body patterns.
    Hmm, OK, I will try that. I am a beginner, so for now I was just happy to get where I wanted just "somehow" ;)