Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

[Question][Tuto] How to create an app ?

quentin_moutyquentin_mouty Member, Developers Posts: 13
Hello everybody,
I am new in Onshape but I found this product already amazing. I have however a question regarding the app.
My understanding is that everybody can create an app a propose it to the community but I do not understand how to create an app.
I have been on this page :https://dev-portal.onshape.com/oauthApps but from what I saw I need to developed an app first, then fill this form.
I am wrong ?
If yes can someone explain me how to create an app ? It do not have clear idea of want I want to do but I wanted to try the possibility of such development.

Thank you
Quentin.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @quentin_mouty - Thank you for your question about writing an 'app'. While it is entirely possible to write an app (check out the app store for examples) the process is a little more involved than writing a 'custom feature'. Before we go down the other path, can we double check what you're trying to do? Does your idea create/modify geometry in a part studio? If yes, then you may well be wanting to write a custom feature - this is a capability unlike anything before in CAD. A custom feature is written in the same language that our developers use for every feature in Onshape (and we have open sourced our source code to get you going). Here is a great jumping off point for using and writing custom features -
    www.onshape.com/featurescript

Let me know if that meets your needs.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    philip_thomas - Thank you for your answer.
    I am aware of the feature system which seems really nice but I want to see what can we do with feature and what can we do with App.
    It is not clear at least for me what are the possibilities from the App and from the feature. In what cases I will need an App and in other a feature.
    After reading you, my understanding is that for 3D purpose the feature do well but for other thing like data transformation App is more pertinent.
    Am I right ?
  • Options
    Yes I better understand thank you.
  • Options
    arick_gomesarick_gomes Member Posts: 8
    @quentin_mouty - YES! :)
    A custom feature is best for any situation where you are creating geometry just as any other feature in Onshape.
    If your need is to 'get' or 'set' things in a document or interact with the outside world in a way that is not part of the regeneration of a part studio, then an app may be more appropriate.
    Perhaps looking at the apps in the app store and comparing them to custom features offered may help you decide

https://appstore.onshape.com/?sort=featured

www.onshape.com/featurescript

and if you want to register as a developer and have access to the api (dont worry - completely free), go here

https://dev-portal.onshape.com/signin

I hope this helps :)

Thank you for your information sir,  When deciding between custom features and apps in Onshape, consider your task's nature. Custom features are for geometry creation, while apps handle external interactions.
  • Options
    john_carter851john_carter851 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everybody,
    I am new in Onshape but I found this product already amazing. I have however a question regarding the app.
    My understanding is that everybody can create an app a propose it to the community but I do not understand how to create an app.
    I have been on this page :https://dev-portal.onshape.com/oauthApps but from what I saw I need to developed an app first, then fill this form.
    I am wrong ?
    If yes can someone explain me how to create an app ? It do not have clear idea of want I want to do but I wanted to try the possibility of such development.

Thank you
    Quentin.

First, set up a developer account, then access the developer resources and test your app. After, checking the app you may submit the app.