Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why does my curve have angles?

alex_slatteryalex_slattery Member Posts: 2
Hey all I am trying to make a 2 inch line with an arc radius of 8 inches. When I make it I get a choppy looking line with 2 sharp angles. How do I raise the angle count or resolution of the line so it actually looks like a curve and not 3 lines connected together?

Thanks!

Alex 

Comments

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Alex, 

Can you post an image of your sketch? Are you using the 'Arc' tool to make the line?
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @alex_slattery - You are describing a corner case for graphics.
    Rest assured that your model is accurate to 16 decimal places. We facetize all faces based on a chordal and angular deviation.
    We have been through many algorithms to get where we are and it is a huge improvement over where we started AND will continue to get better.
    One thing we learned early on is that sketch entities should match the underlying geometry and so we use the same facetizing algorithms (facetizing is a constant trade off between aesthetics and speed). That is why arcs with large radii appear to be made up of line segments (they are not).
    Please submit an enhancement request so that we can prioritize the work we do each day.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    alex_slatteryalex_slattery Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the answer! Philip, that makes sense to me. So what you are saying is the preview would render too slow if it had more angles? Please see the pictures below and let me know if I am doing something wrong. Yes, I used the arc tool.