Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mating normal on bended tube

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Community Support
I like to mate a clamp on a bended tube. I.e. the center of the clamp cilinder [A] should mate on the orange centerline/curve of the tube [B]. Then it would be nice to keep the connector normal to the curve and have it shiftable.

How to do that?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answer

Answers

• Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    This is one of those things that should be very simple, but I can't figure out how to get OS to do it.

I made a simple model to represent what you're trying to do, and in the clamp model I have a sketch that is essentially the axis of the inside curved face of the clamp with one endpoint where you have your 'A' mate connector. In the assembly I was going to mate that 'A' point to the sketch that defines the sweep path of the tube, and then mate the clamp's sketch line to be tangent to that same arc. I managed to get the tangent mate, but for the life of me I cannot get the other mate to work, OS keeps trying to mate it to the center point of that arc.

I see this as another instance of OS's 'mate connectors' simply not being sufficient in functionality to completely replace "traditional" mates.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/565548e734d6e345c587e868/w/ae353e923451a9cc1c600520/e/9385948ce4ee645022eb9c47

• Ben_MisegadesBen_Misegades Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    @jon_sorrells that's essentially the idea, I believe. Not quite the same way I was trying to do it, but that'd work as well.
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @jon_sorrells, thank you for your solution. The job has been done!

The trick was mate a point tangent to a spline which I did not know that this was possible.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)