Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Who owns the Intellectual Property of items designed using the free online version of OnShape?

As I understand it, the person holding the free subscription and modeling the part own the Intellectual Property. That being said, OnShape will not police the internet to make sure someone hasn't pirated ideas and is selling someone else designs.

Is this understanding accurate?

Or are users openly sharing ideas without concern for how those ideas are used? Does everyone just agree that anyone could make a  business out of anyone else's ideas?

Thanks,
Abe

Answers

• Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    I would start by taking a look at our FAQ: https://www.onshape.com/faqs. The last section under "Availability & Security" should help clarify things.
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,176
    Our terms of use are the final word for this: https://www.onshape.com/terms-of-use   Section 1g is particularly relevant.
    I am not a lawyer; here's my personal interpretation:
    1. You own the copyright (other kinds of IP are less relevant)
    2. Onshape doesn't police the internet
    3. When you make a public document, you're automatically granting a free MIT-style license to your work (Onshape's TOS are that way because otherwise, an unsuspecting user making a copy of a public document would be a copyright violation) UNLESS you include a tab named "LICENSE" that specifies a different license (even with such a tab, for a public document, Onshape gets a free pass for marketing).
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    badmechanicbadmechanic Member Posts: 6
    This seems to have changed in 2018 so that users cannot specify a LICENSE file anymore.

I'm not sure why that  happened. GitHub doesn't restrict license types at all even today.

It would be nice if there was at least custom license support for an approved set of open source licences.