Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

hollow tube parts?

gary_piengary_pien Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Community Support
I'm trying to design a funnel collection system. Basically 4 funnels would sit atop this part, and liquid would be directed to a central pipe, and down into a container (eventually). 

I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to use OnShape to design the collection tubes (which obviously need to be hollow). Here's what I came up with so far

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3250f5a569af378900440645/w/d95474c25307f2c7cb6dcfed/e/1afc120f4d04154efd76e7f5

But  I can't tell if Shell worked on the angled "arms" and whether the arms are actually hollow. Is there a better way to do this?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Cool you taught me a thing: section view - hadn't known about that feature before!

The weird thing is, if I suppress the Circular pattern (which reproduces the other 2 arms), I see the initial arm which is hollow all the way through. At that stage, there is only one part. But after Circular, the joint becomes solid and doesn't allow flow into the central pipe. After the Circular operation, there are 3 parts. I tried Boolean them but it doesn't solve the solid-joint problem.
  • Options
    Yes thank you. To clarify this worked:
    Circular pattern --> Boolean --> Shell

Thank you both.
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Groovy :)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd