Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Multiple Boolean Subtractions on Sheet Metal throws Error

CryogenicMinerCryogenicMiner Member Posts: 6 EDU
edited April 2018 in Community Support
I have two Boolean Subtractions I need to perform on a sheet metal part. Each in their own right work just fine. But for some reason, I get an error every time I try to do more that one subtraction. It has nothing to do with the order, and after I have done one subtraction I also can not remove material through an extrusion. 

Subtraction no.1 'Pentagon Cut':

Subtraction no.2 'Speaker Cut':

Both Boolean Subtractions:
^ and the error archived with both subtraction are identical no matter which subtraction I do first.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why or solutions? I really don't see any other way to get what I need to be done.
Thank you, 
     -Cryo

Answers

• Options
    Jason_SJason_S Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 210
    @CryogenicMiner

In the branch you made at 7AM, it looks like you figured it out. My guess is that you didn't cut all the way through the front face in your Speaker Bracket, only up to, the face of your speaker bracket. Sheet metal works best with cuts that go all the way through it.

Great speaker design!

Jason
    Support & QA
  • Options
    I apologize for my delay, I failed to get a notification about your post. Actually, I never solved the problem, and still have it when cutting different shapes in sheet metal. The way I managed to get it to cut was to bring my two faces as close as I could without touching, really weird. I seem to only be able to do 1 cut, and it's not always even error free. It always shows the weird glitchy triangle error at the top of my sheet metal flat view, as seen in the last image. Furthermore, I can not seem to finish the sheet metal, wich I assume is related, as the error is "could not resolve entities". 
    -Thank you
  • Options
    Thank you for the compliment on my speaker, :smile: