Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Will it be possible to import a PARASOLID model w/build history?

StephenGStephenG Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
I see that Onshape (OS) licenses the Parasolid(TM) kernel as the basis for its 3D modeler. Will there be any effort made to import models from other Parasolid based kernels and retain the model's build history?

Right now it appears you only get a surface BREP.

As a test, I exported a OS model to Parasolid and imported it back in and I only got back the BREP.

My question makes the assumption the Parasolid kernel API supports history based modeling. This assumption could wrong. 

Best Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    Stephen,

It should be pretty easy to remove holes and other small features.  For a hole, just use the 'Delete face' feature on the bottom face and all the side faces of the hole.  This can also be done for a protrusion.

The direct editing video on this page gives a much better tutorial than I can give over writing:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/deleteface.htm

(The video on that page also makes reference to the `right click -> Create selection...` workflow which is extremely useful for deleting all the faces in a protrusion or a pocket)

Hope this helps!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team

Answers

• Options
    Just got done skimming through a product brochure for Parasolid. While there are provisions to include/pass additional information (build history) in the X_T file, it has to be understandable to the receiving end. Parasolid makes no attempt to provide API's to standardize how to pass build history. 

I have seen enough of feature recognition products to know to keep walking when approached by a salesman.

A BREP is sometimes better that trying to unravel/understand a build process and 2D sketch schemas.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 519
    @StephenG You could use our direct edit tools to modify imported geometry if it fits your needs/workflow.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't had an opportunity to use the direct editing tools.... no experience in OS, or any other CAD product with direct style surface editing.

How easy it to remove holes and other small feature details? Or is it better to create "bondo" features to fill unwanted voids?
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    Stephen,

It should be pretty easy to remove holes and other small features.  For a hole, just use the 'Delete face' feature on the bottom face and all the side faces of the hole.  This can also be done for a protrusion.

The direct editing video on this page gives a much better tutorial than I can give over writing:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/deleteface.htm

(The video on that page also makes reference to the `right click -> Create selection...` workflow which is extremely useful for deleting all the faces in a protrusion or a pocket)

Hope this helps!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Just tried it.... pretty neat.