Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I enter 83° 17' 25" as a dimension when creating a sketch?

PahlPahl Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Community Support
I have a drawing I'm working with that shows a angle of 83° 17' 25".
When I go to dimension that angle on the sketch I created I can type it in as 83° 17" 25" but OS does not let me enter that as the dimension.
Do I need to convert the 83° 17' 25" to a decimal or something first and if so how?

I tried searching google for the answer but must not know the correct thing to search for.

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Ok, so of coarse right after I post this I do some more searching and find this.
    http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/degrees-minutes-seconds-to-degrees.htm

Seems I can convert 83° 17' 25" to 83.29028°

Is that the correct way to go about it?

Also is there a standard when it comes to mechanical drawings and degrees as far as if the dimension should be shown in deg, min, sec or simply as a decimal to start with?

Thanks 
  • Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't know about standarts of angular dimentions, but you can always enter in dimention input field (83 +17/60+25/60/60)° which is equal to 83° 17' 25"
  • Options
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov

I had not thought of trying to enter it like that, thanks!