Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to query the side of a part?

cory_isaacsoncory_isaacson Member, Developers Posts: 43 PRO
I have a part that is flat (a shape with some curves and straight lines), and it is thin (1/4" thick). I need to query the side edges of the part (the faces of the edges only). I have a query that results in a line normal to the flat sides, running up the thin edge. How can I take that and use something like qTangentConnectedFaces? It's not working now because I am using qIntersectsLine, and the line intersections the flat parts as well as the thin sides. So how can I limit the query to just the face of the thin edge?

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    I figured it out, I just needed to use qContainsPoint with a point in the middle of the thin face, then it was easy to get the face that contains that point, then use qTangentConnectedFaces to get the remaining faces. I'm getting the idea now of how the queries work, qContainsPoint is very useful if you need to be specific on a part.

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Cory,

Could you post an annotated screenshot of what you are trying to query for? Often that's the best way to express this geometric stuff.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    I figured it out, I just needed to use qContainsPoint with a point in the middle of the thin face, then it was easy to get the face that contains that point, then use qTangentConnectedFaces to get the remaining faces. I'm getting the idea now of how the queries work, qContainsPoint is very useful if you need to be specific on a part.