Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Create a box in Onshape

bogdan_rădulescubogdan_rădulescu Member Posts: 1
edited March 2017 in Community Support
Hello,

I am very new to Onshape and to CAD in general but I have experience with SketchUp, event though that's not the same cup of tea,

I did the tutorial but I still have huge gaps..

I am trying to create a simple box (a speaker) with 6 wood rectangles but I can't figure out how to do that in a way in which I could practically generate some DXF files which could be sent CNC. As far as I understand a sketch is a 2D drawing on one of the 3 planes, which I can then extrude. Still, if I want to have parallel planes how do I do that?

So far, I was only able to do this :)
I guess it is obvious that I need to move the plane off center and create a mirror copy. Eventually, I need to put all 6 elements on the same drawing and export the box as DXF so I could send it to the CNC shop.

Can you please give me some clear indications to do this simple thing?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Answer ✓
    Hi again!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/df3240e83b098edf039e6e4c/w/2aba81d328d9c7059a5d949e/e/61bae6952f5f6bc8a1b26b67

Feel free to copy this document and explore how I did the work.  You can change the Width, Height, Depth, and Thickness variables to adjust the overall dimensions or the thickness of the wood.  If you unsupress the 'Auto layout' feature at the end, the Part Studio will lay itself out for a Milling Machine (you may have to edit the feature to account for width/height of the wood you cutting out of).

Let me know if you have any questions about what I did.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Bogdan!

There are lots of ways to do this.  You can create a parallel offset plane with the 'Plane' feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/cplane.htm

You can also use any planar face as a sketch plane.  That means that after creating the front plate rectangle, you can start a sketch and click in the side face of the front plane rectangle to sketch on that plane (you wan't be limited to sketching just inside that side face, you can sketch on the whole plane it defines).

I'm making you an example now :)
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi again!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/df3240e83b098edf039e6e4c/w/2aba81d328d9c7059a5d949e/e/61bae6952f5f6bc8a1b26b67

Feel free to copy this document and explore how I did the work.  You can change the Width, Height, Depth, and Thickness variables to adjust the overall dimensions or the thickness of the wood.  If you unsupress the 'Auto layout' feature at the end, the Part Studio will lay itself out for a Milling Machine (you may have to edit the feature to account for width/height of the wood you cutting out of).

Let me know if you have any questions about what I did.